- 40 million people trafficked worldwide
- In the Asia Pacific region, human trafficking amounts to USD52 billion a year
- A trafficker stands to make up to USD20,000 on a single victim
- Migrants are especially vulnerable to trafficking
- 70% of victims are female and over two-thirds are below the age of 30
Source : International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC)
These are just some of the staggering facts and figures on human trafficking.
The International Catholic Migration Commission Asia-Oceania Working Group held their annual meeting in Bangkok last year. One of the topics touched on was the issue of human trafficking in the Asia Pacific region.
Ms. Theresa Symons, Regional Manager for Mission Development ,Good Shepherd Asia Pacific , presented the works of the mission of the Good Shepherd Sisters in protecting these women and children and assisting them in other areas besides providing physical shelter.